Below is a tutorial sheet on sub topic 1.3 vectors.
- What is the component of a force of 5.0 N in a direction at 30° to itself?
- What is the component of a force of 4.0 N in a direction at 90° to itself?
- An object of weight W is held at rest on a smooth inclined plane of angle of elevation 𝜽 by a horizontal force H. What is the value of H?
- An object of weight W is held at rest on a rough inclined plane of angle of elevation 𝜽 by a horizontal force H. If the coefficient of static friction is μ, determine the possible values of H.
- Two light inextensible strings are tied to an object of weight W at the same point. The strings make angles of 30° and 60° with the vertical. Determine the tension in each string.
- Three light strings of equal length are tied to the same point on an object of weight W. The other ends of the strings are tied to hooks on the ceiling, the strings forming the sides of a regular tetrahedron. What is the tension in each string?