A tutorial sheet of harder questions on kinematics is given below.
- A car travels back and forth between two towns. The speed during the forward journey is v1. If the speed during the return journey is v2, what is the average speed for the entire trip?[2v1v2/(v1+v2)]
- A car travels back and forth between two towns. The average speed during the forward journey is 50km/h. What is the speed for the return journey if the average speed for the entire trip was 40 km/h?
- An object moves from rest with constant acceleration for 4.0 s then with uniform velocity for 5.0s, the total distance travelled being 224 m. What was the acceleration?
- Two airports, A and B, are 850 km apart with B due east of A. At 10 am a jet takes off from A and travels at a constant velocity of 400 km/h to the east. At 11 am an aircraft takes off from B and travels at a constant velocity of 500 km/h to west. At what time do they pass each other?
- Two camels leave the Sphinx at times 52.5 s apart. The first moves off with a uniform acceleration of 1.30 ms-2 which it maintains for 1.92 s. It then continues with the acquired speed. The second camel moves off with a uniform acceleration of 1.45 ms-2 which it maintains for 2.84 s. It then continues with the acquired speed. Calculate the time taken by the second camel to overtake the first camel and the distance travelled in this time.[82.9 s, 336 m]
- A moving trolley is observed to have the following positions at equal intervals of 1 second; 5.10, 1.60, 1.50, 4.80, 11.5 and 21.6 cm. Show that the acceleration is uniform and determine its magnitude. What is the next number in the list? [3.40 cms-2, 35.1 cm]
- An elevator can increase its speed with an acceleration a and slow down with a deceleration b. What is the least time that it can travel a distance d if it starts and finishes at rest?
- A stone is dropped down a well. The sound of the splash is heard after a time interval t. What is the depth of the well if the speed of sound is vs? Give the answer in terms of g, t and vs.